Wednesday, February 23, 2011

Identity 1

Today, Mr. Zucman talked about Identity. Identity is about who we are or think we are.  He showed many pictures of painters, photographers, sculptors, poets, artists, etc.  As I viewed the many pictures, I thought about each of them and how they defined each artist.
For example, Gary Locke was not an artist. He was the first Chinese-American governor in US history.  I was so affected when I saw what he wrote: "It took our family one-hundred years to travel that mile —
it was a voyage we could only make in America."  I was so moved by his gratitude. Another example is Lela Lee, an American actress and cartoonist. She is known for her "Angry Little Asian Girl" cartoons. When I saw her artwork, I thought she wanted to show us a little kid for who is angry at life and is trying to express her negative feelings in a humorous way.
I thought that self-identity is a kind of art form where the artists can express who they are and how they feel in a creative and acceptable way. Identity can be very creative. This art form is becoming quite socially acceptable.

No comments:

Post a Comment