Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Lecture 3.2: Chartres Cathedral and video of Jackson Pollock

  

Today, Mr. Zucman showed me many pictures of historical art and discussed how art changed throughout the many centuries.  At first, he showed me a picture of Australopithecus. Australopithecus was a water worn stone. It was dated back more than 3 million years ago. The water worn stone came from 20 miles away in South Africa. When I saw it, I thought how that water worn stone resembled a human face from 3 million years ago. I thought that the water worn stone was a historical art of 3 million years ago. This was the first water worn stone that resembled a human face that I had ever seen before.




Secondly, I also looked at many diffferent artists and their works from the 11th through 20th centuries.  I began to understand how art is connected from the past to the present. It was interesting when I saw the beautiful Chartres Cathedral. I think Chartres Cathedral is special from a historical viewpoint. The artists created many beautitful stained glass windows. This is a beautiful Cathedral! I had never seen anything like it before. Today artists create beautiful jewelry fashioned after the gothic designs of early gothic style cathedrals.
Lastly, he showed me a video about Jackson Pollock. When I saw this video, I didn't understand why Pollock used dripping paint in a painting instead of drawing lines on a paper. I think dripping paint was his own style of art. I think dripping paint is a type of art that can express emotion. I feel Pollock's type of art looks like graffiti writing. Graffiti writing is a type of art where you can express yourself while drawing and writing on a wall. When I saw all of this, I thought these pieces were representative of creative art. I thought they created all of this not only by using their hands, but also their feelings and passions .

1 comment:

  1. I think Jackson Pollock's dripping was his creations of art. he may want it to try something new... something that would have more impact at some point... and something that capture people attention.. I LOVED IT!!!

    ReplyDelete