Wednesday, April 6, 2011

Robert Rauschenberg

           
           Rauschenberg is well-known for his "combines" of the 1950's.  This is one of his combine works.  This is a very interesting piece. To be honest, I really have no idea what I'm looking at. This artwork is really confusing. This is more like a collage of snapshots as used in  advertising photography. The artist incorporated all these photographs into his work.

           

          As I did my research on the artist and his works, I found out that many of these photographs had been reduced by multiple reproduction to the status of a commodity. The artist incorporated all these photographs as advertisements into loose, abstract compositions.   He  picked up trash or found any materials that interested him in the streets of New York City, and he brought these materials back to his studio where they could be combined into his works. Rauschenberg's art works explore the gap between art and the everyday world.  In particular his series of works which he called Combines served as instances in which the boundaries between art and sculpture were broken down so that both were present in a single work of art.  I like his work.  His art work interests me. I think his work is popular because I see a lot of people who combine various materials or mediums to make cards to send to people they love.  I also enjoy how he incorporates bright colors into his works, making them very attractive to me.

No comments:

Post a Comment