Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Robert Smithson


        Spiral Jetty (1970) is an earthwork built of mud, salt crystals, basalt rocks, earth and water on the northeastern shore of the Great Salt Lake near Rozel Point, Utah.  It forms a 1500-foot long and 15-foot wide counterclockwise coil jutting from the shore of the lake.  The artwork is remarkable.  I've never seen anything quite like this before.

            This counter clockwise spiral that used 600 tons of earth and rock suggested new ways of looking at earth art, in my opinion. Normally conceptual art leaves me unmoved, bored, and cold, but Robert Smithson's ideas electrified me and made me think; it opened inviting worlds for my mind.  The artwork reminded me of an upside down question mark or an incomplete symbol for the treble cleff in music.

No comments:

Post a Comment