Monday, March 28, 2011

Bill Viola

             
       Bill Viola is an internationally recognized video artist. When I looked at this piece, I fell in love with it right away. I see a phoenix in the form of a man, rising up from the ashes. But when I take a closer look at it, I see the relationship between light and darkness, masculinity and femininity. All these elements are well unified by the force of the fire. It looks like the man is in the foreground, is seen approaching through the darkness, which is the background.

     This piece is symbolic in a way, in my opinion. The fire symbolizes the obstacles that the man in this picture has to overcome in order to achieve his goal, desire. This piece could also be interpreted as a woman running and gradually transforming herself into a silhouette as she turns away from the light, which is the fire and walks into the darkness. This piece is very abstract and could be interpreted in many ways.

No comments:

Post a Comment